Do you have yellow toenails? What about black or white spots on the nails? Do they emit a smelly odor, burn, and itch? Have they thickened, or become brittle? Unfortunately, you have contracted Onychomycosis or Tinea Pedis, also known as nail fungus. Nail fungus experts estimate that over 1/4 of the world’s population has dealt with this fungal problem, so you are certainly not alone.
Fortunately, we have compiled a review list of the best over-the-counter nail fungus treatments available today, along with additional information on how to get rid of your pesky fungal infection. Nail fungus is infamous for being harder to treat as it ages and spreads, so don’t delay – treat your nail fungus today to prevent further complications. Follow the guide below to destroy your nail fungus infection once and for all.
Nail Fungus Treatments Overview
Table of Contents
- 1 Nail Fungus Treatments Overview
- 2 1. Purely Northwest Toenail Fungus Treatment – Best All Inclusive Treatment
- 3 2. Zane Hellas Fungus Stop – Best Low-Cost Option
- 4 3. Fungi Nail Brand Pen Brush Applicator – Best Option for Mild to Moderate Cases
- 5 4. Puriya Wonder Balm – Best Treatment to Have in Your Medicine Cabinet
- 6 What To Look For In A Nail Fungus Treatment
- 7 At Home Remedies
- 8 Before Applying Treatment
- 9 Conclusion
1. Purely Northwest Toenail Fungus Treatment – Best All Inclusive Treatment
Purely Northwest Toenail Fungus Treatment is an incredible 3-in-1 system. It includes three different Purely Northwest products: Tea Tree Oil Foot Soak, ReNew Toenail Solution, and Antifungal Soap. This makes it an all-in-one solution, treating your nail fungus from three different angles. It is our top pick. Other nail fungus products usually include just one of the products in the system, often at a similar price.
Purely Northwest Toenail Fungus Treatment harnesses the power of therapeutic grade tea tree oil, oregano oil, eucalyptus oil, and other powerful essential oils. These essential oils cure your nail fungus and leave your nails happy and healthy. Plus, they include a 90-day money back guarantee if you aren’t completely satisfied.
- Complete, all-inclusive 3-in-1 system treats your nail fungus from every angle
- Utilizes powerful essential oils such as tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, and jojoba oil
- 90-day money back guarantee, no questions asked
- Users report the herbal smell of the treatments and foot soak to be relaxing
- Can be time-consuming to use all 3 treatments
- Not an overnight cure, but this is common with all nail fungus treatments
- Users with sensitive skin report uncomfortable feeling, although this is rare
2. Zane Hellas Fungus Stop – Best Low-Cost Option
Zane Hellas Fungus Stop is an incredible topical nail fungus solution that is effective against 99.9% of fungal infections. It is renowned for its low price compared to other similar products, making it an incredible value. Zetaclear utilizes oregano oil, essential tea tree oil, extra virgin olive oil, and lemon eucalyptus oil to fight destroy nail fungus. The main active ingredients, oregano oil, and tea tree oil are extremely powerful essential oils that treat many different fungal infections including nail fungus, jock itch, and athlete’s foot.
Zane Hellas Fungus Stop can be combined with Zane Hellas Fungus Stop Softgels for even quicker and more effective results.
- 99.9% effective against all fungal infections
- Low price compared to comparable treatments
- Super simple once a day treatment makes treating your nail fungus easy
- Can be combined with Zane Hellas Softgels for even quicker results
- Some users report needing two bottles before nail fungus is completely cured
- May take up to 4 weeks to see results, or even longer for severe infections
- Some users report minor irritation from topical solution
3. Fungi Nail Brand Pen Brush Applicator – Best Option for Mild to Moderate Cases
Fungi Nail Brand Toe and Foot Pen Anti-Fungal Solution is a great, simple to use nail fungus treatment that comes in a handy pen applicator. The treatment is applied directly to the nail and nail bed once a day. The Fungi Nail Brand Toe and Foot Anti-Fungal Pen is one of the lowest priced treatments on the market today, however, it is best for mild to moderate cases of nail fungus. For more severe cases, we recommend the other options available on this list.
Fungi Nail Brand has created an awesome moisture blocking technology, which holds the medicine in place. The main active ingredient is undecylenic acid, a known antifungal medication. The pen brush applicator makes treatment unbelievably quick and easy, delivering the right amount of solution directly to the infected area.
- One of the easiest nail fungus treatment available on the market – just apply the solution directly to the nail and nail bed using the pen brush applicator
- One of the best priced fungal nail treatments
- Usually best for mild to moderate cases of nail fungus
- Users may need multiple pens in order to see complete results
4. Puriya Wonder Balm – Best Treatment to Have in Your Medicine Cabinet
Puriya Wonder Balm, also known as Best Antifungal Balm, is a fantastic antifungal balm comprised of tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, and other natural essential oils. It is a powerful solution that is both antifungal and also antimicrobial. This means that Puriya Wonder Balm treats not only nail fungus, but also athlete’s foot, blisters, rashes, chafing, and dry skin. Users report purchasing it to cure nail fungus, and then using it for additional ailments as well.
Additionally, the Puriya Wonder Balm’s Stay-on Formula does a fantastic job of keeping the treatment on the afflicted area which speeds up the recovery process. Furthermore, Puriya Wonder Balm comes with a 180-day money back guarantee.
- Powerful solution that combats not only nail fungus, but athlete’s foot, jock itch, irritation, dry skin, and many other afflictions
- 100% all natural therapeutic grade ingredients, no unnatural fillers
- 180-day money back guarantee no questions asked
- Everybody’s skin is different – some users report Puriya Wonder Balm working for some afflictions and not others
- Balm has strong smell
- Some users report balm causing itchiness
What To Look For In A Nail Fungus Treatment
When searching for the solution to your nail fungus issue, we also recommend looking for products that utilize all natural ingredients and essential oils. We recommend Tea Tree Oil, Oregano Oil, Jojoba Oil, Almond Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Tea Tree Oil and Oregano Oil especially have been shown to fight off a number of infections and parasites. They also have an extensive list of additional medical benefits; Oregano’s main active ingredient, carvacrol, has been shown to be effective in treating yeast infections, urinary tract infections, and providing relief for sinus infections. Tea Tree Oil, which is an essential oil extracted from Melaleuca Alternifolia, a breed of trees in Australia, has been used for centuries by indigenous cultures to treat everything from nail fungus to ear infections.
Why Choose A Natural Treatment?
There are two main reasons we recommend choosing a natural treatment. Generally, they are low in price and lack side effects. Although users of natural treatments sometimes report a burning sensation or mild discomfort, they generally pale in comparison to the extreme side effects of other treatment options. Below, we’ll take a look at two common nail fungus treatments, laser treatment, and prescription medication.
Laser treatments work by projecting powerful light directly into the target material in the nail, thus producing heat and killing the fungi. Laser treatment is a relatively new phenomenon, and unfortunately, it is an expensive treatment. In the United States, the national average cost for laser treatment is $500 to $1200. Most patients only need one treatment, but some need to come back for multiple sessions. Unfortunately, laser treatment is usually not covered by health insurance.
In the United States, the national average cost for laser treatment is $500 to $1200. Most patients only need one treatment, but some need to come back for multiple sessions. Unfortunately, laser treatment is usually not covered by health insurance.
Prescription medications are available to treat nail fungus, but they oftentimes come with possible side effects, including possible skin rashes, liver damage or failure, gastrointestinal disorders, and even death. Common medications include:
Users take the medication from six to twelve weeks. The results generally won’t be entirely visible until the nail grows back in, which can take four months or longer. Prescription nail fungus treatments can possibly be taken with topical solutions to maximize effectiveness. Consult your doctor before combining any medications or starting any treatment.
At Home Remedies
In addition to treatment options listed above, many nail fungus sufferers find relief utilizing common at home remedies.
The success of these treatments vary. Generally, they work better for people who have mild to moderate nail fungus infections.
Before Applying Treatment
Before applying any treatment, it is vital that you take certain steps to maximize the efficiency of the treatment and prevent spreading. Follow this guide before you apply any treatment to your nails.
Clip Your Nails
Clipping your nails as close to the skin as possible allows for topical treatments to properly penetrate the nail bed, where the fungi originate. Obviously, you do not want to clip so close to the skin that is caused discomfort. Nail fungus oftentimes causes thickness and discoloration. If you are having trouble using a standard nail clipper, trying using the Harperton Nippit Precision Toenail Clippers for Thick or Ingrown Toenails.
Carefully remove and dispose of the nail clippings. We recommend using disposable gloves to move the clippings immediately to the trash. Keep in mind nail fungus is highly contagious so do not let your fingernails, partner, or children come into contact with the infected clippings.
Clean Your Nails
Taking a shower will remove keratin and other debris buildups in the nails and help will help prevent reinfection. Some treatments allow for you to apply the solution directly to the nails in the shower – follow all directions completely.
Dry Your Nails Completely
Fungi, mold, yeast, and bacteria all love wet and warm places. Once you are done showing, make sure you thoroughly dry your nails to prevent reinfection, spreading, or contamination. Be sure to not come directly in contact with the infected nails in order to prevent spreading.
Nail fungus is a medical issue that can cause lots of pain and strife. No matter when and where you contracted your infection, the most important thing is that you start treatment immediately. No nail fungus product is going to cure your infection overnight, but with enough time and patience, you can live nail fungus free. It may months before you see results, but stick to your treatment and maintain proper hygiene. Eventually, you will destroy the nail fungus!